Hurghada is one of the best known holiday resorts in Egypt and part of the Red Sea Governate. Located on the coast of the Red Sea, Hurghada stretches around 22 miles (36km) along the magnificent shore line.
A popular tourist resort for western tourists Hurghada is also favoured by Egyptian tourists from Cairo and Upper Egypt as well.
Hurghada consists of three parts:
- Downtown – El Dahar – the oldest part of Hurghada
- Sekalla – the City Centre area
- and, the most modern part is El Memsha
Highly regarded for its watersports, warm weather and nightlife, Hurghada is an excellent location to kick back, relax and enjoy its holiday resort feel to it.
Windsurfing, kiting, sailing, swimming, snorkelling, diving and deep sea fishing are common activities available in the area. Its reefs offshore are considered to be some of the best in the world.
There are many different types of fish and coral which can also be seen from glass bottomed boats, if snorkelling and diving is not something you wish to experience.
There are a number of places you can visit from Hurghada:
- Al Quesir, meaning “a small place or fortress, is one of the oldest cities on the west coast of the Red Sea and was predominantly used as one of the main port areas. Many people travelled from there to the Land of Punt, to buy leather, incense and ivory.
- Al Quesir Al Kadima, was the old Roman port where many old pottery artifacts were found. It now houses many cafes, seafood restaurants and bazaars. From Al Quesir you can also take safaris, either by quad bike or 4×4 jeep. Its diving areas are wonderful with many miles of unspoiled coral reef. From this area it is also possible to visit Bedouin Villages and take Camel Rides
- Sharm el Naga is a beach areaa village with an amazingly beautiful reef cliff.
- El Gouna is a luxury hotel town and the area is privately owned. It is exceptionally peaceful and clean and houses several islands which are connected by bridges. It is an excellent place for restaurants, bars, nightclubs and also provides bazaars, shopping areas and internet cafes. From here you can also participate in diving and watersports, horse riding, go-karting and Golf (at its 18 hole course)
- Soma Bay is an outstanding place for diving and snorkelling and is around 28 kilometers south of Hurghada
- Makadi Bay is located approximately 22 miles (35km) south of Hurghada and has one of the most outstanding swimming pools located at the Le Meridien, Makadi Bay. Makadi Bay is also well known as an excellent location for snorkelling and diving.